tof issues to add to tracker

Hall D PID Mail List:

There have been several issues that came up in preparations for the review
which we need to add to our action item tracker.

* Updated magnetic fringe field in the vecinity of the scintillators.
(George Biallas expects to have some results in the next month).
* The design presented at the review included a soft iron shield 2.75 mm
thick and a mu-metal 0.4 mm thick.
- The total size of the pmt (5.35cm max)+ 2x0.275cm + 2x0.04cm = 5.98cm.
- Nominal size of scintillator paddle is 6 cm, which implies this only fit
if there are no gaps between pmt and shields.
-> This is not a realistic design for the pmt housing, as the pmt (at HV)
must be insulated from the housing (at ground). If we want to put the
mu-metal shield at HV this is will require additional space.

1. Elke has suggested that we might want to overlap the scintillators
to avoid any inefficiencies and this would allow additional room
for a realistic housing.
2. An alternative possibility would be to reconsider using fine-mesh pmts.
This option would avoid the need for magnetic shielding and could fit into
the current space. One would need to evaluate the cost trade-off between
vacuum pmt + magnetic shielding compared to the single wire-mesh pmt. For
this case, a realistic assessment of any inefficiencies due to tracks
hitting between two scintillators would have to be made.

Elton Smith
Jefferson Lab MS 12H5
12000 Jefferson Ave
Suite # 16