gap of vacuum box in pair spectrometer

Franz,

The gap I was remembering from the beam line simulation is the gap
inside the second sweep magnet that is just downstream of the secondary
collimator.  That sweep magnet gap is indeed 50 mm.  It was made that
large to allow room for the vacuum pipe that starts just after the
secondary collimator and carries the collimated photon beam down to the
gluex target entrance, which currently has an interior diameter of 44
mm.  The pair spectrometer vacuum box is inserted into that photon beam
pipe, but it does not need to have the same height as the beam pipe
interior diameter, currently 44 mm.  The secondary collimator diameter
is only 10 mm.  My guess is that the beam pipe downstream of the
secondary collimator should be roughly twice that to avoid scraping from
secondaries.  This would say that a 20mm gap through the pair
spectrometer would be fine, assuming that it is aligned with ~1mm accuracy.

Richard Jones

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature