Re: colli cave question

Hello Richard

We need to check with the radiation protection people here but activation
is probably not an issue. The magnets came from Fermilab and were selected
for there radiation hardness. They irradiated one magnet using a co source
with several Gigarads.

The magnets are made using a lot of iron and we can pack the gaps with
stainless steel so maybe they are good enough for the muons. The magnet
blocks themselves are Type 8 strontium ferrite (mostly O and Fe).

   ---------------------------
   |                         |
   |        iron ?           |
   --------------------------
   |       | dipole |        |
   |       |   o    |        |

The biggest concern is the real estate. The magnets are 3.683m long. If
the magnet replaces the sweep magnet and the iron absorber then we still
loose 1.183 m. To gain this we would need to remove something. I guess it
requires a study.

Jim