Re: colli cave question

Jim,

This is certainly worth considering.  The main concern that I see right
away is the real estate.  Right now the sequence following the first
collimator is 50cm (sweep) + 200cm (iron) + 100cm (concrete) + 50cm
(gaps) = 400cm.  The iron is there to stop muons from muon pair
production in the primary collimator and from pion decays.  I think you
still need the concrete in the forward direction to attenuate the
forward neutron flux.  All of this could be simulated.

I suppose the permanent magnets are some ceramic material, right?  Any
rare earths that might activate?

Richard Jones