Re: possible pair spectrometer magnets (fwd)

We must also keep in mind that the water pressure drop (100 psi) and electrical power are limited. Possible alternate water flow (ie lower velocity) may need to be looked at (but temp rise may be too great).

My 2 cents...

Tim

Jim Stewart wrote:
Dear tagger

While at BNL I went looking for possible magnets for the pair
spectrometer. I found several which look like good candidates.

The 20x42 looks to be very interesting. It is a C-Magnet with the
following characteristics:
 pole width  508mm
 pole gap    203mm
 pole length 1067mm
 Max field   1.85T

The gap is too large but it would be easy to add plates to the poles to
reduce this. A C-Magnet has the advantage that on one side of the magnet
we can measure very low momentum particles. Installing the vacuum chamber
can also be done without taking the magnet apart.

The 24-8-72 is an H-magnet with a field clamp and relatively wide poles.
 pole width  609mm
 pole gap    203mm
 pole length 1829mm
 Max field   1.85T
To reduce the gap here you would need to add tapered plates. This could
be done but requires a simulation.

The 18D36 is also an H-magnet. It has a somewhat narrower pole and is more
compact.  (18" wide pole and 36 inches long)

They may also have power supplies for the magnets above. We would need to
install new controls in any supply we got.

I feel that the 20x42 is a rather good match to our needs.

Please let me know what you think!

Jim

begin:vcard
fn:Timothy Whitlatch, PE