pair spectrometer comments/questions

*Hello Hrachya

I think I am missing something fairly basic in my understanding of the
pair spectrometer design. I do not understand how you chose the detector
sizes.

The photon energy is the sum of the energy of the electron and positron
E_gam = E_ele+E_pos
The uncertainty in the photon energy is the uncertainty of the electron
and positron added in quadrature.
(This assumes the two energy measurements are independent which is not
true. For example if the photon interacts +2mm off beam axis in the
radiator then the positron will appear to have a larger curvature and
therefore lower momentum than it really does where as the electron will
seem to have a higher momentum.)
deltaE_gam = sqrt[(deltaE_ele)^2 +(deltaE_gam)^2)]
 From this I would conclude that the pair spectrometer should be
designed so that both arms have roughly the same precision.

The factors that contribute to the uncertainty in the energy measurement
are:
1) Beam spot size
2) Uncertainty in magnetic field
3) Opening angle of the bremsstrahlung production (p_t effects)
4) Size of the detectors
5) Position uncertainty of the detectors.

Am I missing anything other sources to the uncertainty?

The opening angle of the bremsstrahlung cone is the one factor which is
affected by the overall length of the spectrometer. Here you can
probably somehow express the contribution to the uncertainty as a fn of
overall path length of the electrons/positrons.

The determination of the optimal size detectors may be somewhat
complicated. You have to understand how the finite spot size effects the
momentum uncertainty depending on how large the magnet and drift space
are. Do you know how best to calculate this? I  would think a  MC study
is needed here.

 ========================= comment on vertical wire =================
Jim -  Also please talk about the possibility to use a vertical wire to
scan the beam instead of a foil target. This reduces the uncertainty
from the spot size.

 Hrachya: CB has an angular distribution and one has to accept all CB
cone by spot in foil, otherwise we measure something different from what
trigger contains.

The suggestion was to scan the beam profile. If you have a vertical wire
then you can move it across the photon beam. Then you can measure the
profile and by adding the different x-bins a better energy resolution. I
would view this as a dedicated systematic study on the photon beam. This
could give a more precise measurement. I guess a lot will depend on how
accurately you can combine the different x measurements into a combined
measurement.
Jim
*