Re: Diamond deformation

Title:
Dear Prof. Bassett,

Thank you for the copy of your recent paper that you sent me, and the references you mentioned.  I appreciate your being willing to help us, who are almost completely out of touch with Materials Science in general, and in particular what is going on at present in the diamond field.  I appreciate your being available to us for further advice, as we work toward a solution to our problem.

Richard Jones

William A. Bassett wrote:
Richard,

I enjoyed your talk and our conversation later.  I am attaching a paper that I wrote in 2006.  It is a summary of deviatoric stress in the diamond anvil cell and includes information on both elastic and plastic deformation of diamond including the Mao and Bell paper I mentioned.  I am afraid that the stresses and deformations far exceed anything you were observing; however, it might prove useful.  Let me know if you have any questions or need further information about my criteria for testing flatness.
                          reference: J. Phys.: Condensed Matter 18 (2006) S921-S931
Bill

William A. Bassett

Mineral Physics Lab, Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Snee Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
Cell 607 351 0604, Office 607 255 7502, Home 607 272 5387
FAX 607 254 4780, e-mail <WAB7@cornell.edu>
Web http://mplmac.geo.cornell.edu/

Foxwood Instruments, 765 Bostwick Rd., Ithaca, NY 14850
Cell 607 351 0604, Tel. 607 272 5387