Re: pair spectrometer (fwd)

Hrachya,

My idea on the segmentation was that when you are designing two arms of a coincidence hodoscope, the best segmentation for a given number of scintillators is obtained when the left and right arms have the same number of counters.  For example, here is a comparison between the current design with 24 + 7 counter and a counter-example with 16+15 counters.  I contrast  these two in the first two columns below, only to show that the statement from the PS design note, v9.1 "This spectrometer design provides uniform acceptance over the energy range of 12.4 GeV to 6.4 GeV using a minimum number of counters and readout channels." is not fully optimized.  I claim that a 16 + 16 design (see the last column below) gives nice round numbers in terms of the energy binning of the channels, does substantially better than the initial segmentation scheme in terms of energy bin width, and still fits nicely with the original electronics estimate of 32 counters.

Richard Jones

24 + 7 design
16 + 15 design
16 + 16 design
FS counter width
41.7 MeV
26.9 MeV
25 MeV
WS counter width (*)
20.8 MeV
20.8 MeV
20.8 MeV
FS counter energy span
1000 MeV
430 MeV
400 MeV
WS counter spacing
1000 MeV
430 MeV
400 MeV
minimum WS energy
3250 MeV
3000 MeV
3000 MeV
maximum WS energy
8250 MeV
9000 MeV
9000 MeV
minimum FS energy
3000 MeV
3000 MeV
3000 MeV
maximum FS energy
4000 MeV
3430 MeV
3400 MeV
minimum gamma energy
6250 MeV
6000 MeV
6000 MeV
maximum gamma energy
12250 MeV
12400 MeV
12400 MeV
gamma channel width
41.7 MeV
26.9 MeV
25 MeV

(*) The width of the WS counters is determined by more qualitative criteria, as described in the PS design note.  It does not affect the segmentation, but does determine the effective overlap exists between adjacent gamma energy channels.  I just adopted the value from the initial design for these alternate segmentation schemes.

Richard Jones

Hrachya.Hakobyan wrote:
Richard,

Let to answer to your last comments. I've attached the doc file corrected:
I've put your comments into the text exept few comments requiring or discussion or additional work. I left 7 points for my answers.

1.Polarimetry layout. I think we should not discuss the subject of Si microstrips location. I'm not ready at moment to discuss the optimisation of polarymetry configuration. I may compare 1 or 2 m configuration of strips location out od magnet. The vacuum chamber is currently at least 3.5m long. If enginners may evaluate it and confirm feasibility of construction and installation of 4.5m long one, one may move back all detectors and increase overall resolution. If the widening of vacuum chamber at the exir is also feasible without extra effotes, one may use the BNL magnet with 0.6m wide pole's width, increasing the photon
energy range regidtered to lower energies... Thos kind of discussions with engineers are important and necessarily part of the proposal preparation.

2.I was trying to improve the sentence on " saturated field".
  You may do it better... Franky speaking I never  cared with  mapping
  problem(there is enough time!)  but mostly was worried by need to avoid extra expences.

3.Section Error! and its repeat is a result  of .doc to .pdf conversion, it is missing in .doc format.

4, Optimisation of PS layout is introduced by Jim and I agreed with his sentence in the sence of the reasonable balance between the detector granularity and an  influence of smearing factors to reach a finest photon energy resolution.

5. Showereing problem is more prononced from my knowledge  as a conversion in collimator walls,contributiong to low energy part of bremmstrahlung. The task is to evaluate this contribution.

6.The choice of  photon energy resolution as a half of FSF bin size and smearing influence of beam spot size and  multiple scattering is a part of the balance mentioned in point4. If the vacuum chamber is ptolonged, counters shifted back and  the influence of smearing would be less...

7. I rewrite the definition of efficiency. please have a look.

Richard, we agreed to talk at your 10:00am. I'll  ready.

Hrachya