Re: PS target issues (fwd)

Hrachya,

Are you proposing that we move the position of the converter from its
current position ~2m upsteam of the PS magnet, and then envision a
second converter somewhere else when we get around to designing the
polarimeter?  We should consider this possibility, but I am skeptical
that it makes much difference.  Can you tell us quantitatively what gain
we get in final energy resolution by moving the converter downstream a
couple of meters from its present position?  At least at its present
position it is possible to think about doing polarimetry with the same
converter.  We are never going to find anything like 19 m of space for
doing polarimetry in the way we did at YERPHI.  To use that system, we
would need to scale that distance up by another factor to account for
the higher energies involved.  Whatever we do (and I have some ideas) we
will need to do within a few meters space that we have between the
second sweeping magnet and the PS.

If we move the converter to the entrance of the PS magnet, we probably
double the cost of adding a polarimeter at some point in the future, and
certainly make installing it much more disruptive to the running
schedule of the hall.  We could do that, but we need a compelling reason
for it.

Richard Jones