Re: chess

Dear Jim, Franz, Yang, and all,

I called Ken Finkelstein at CHESS to talk about the schedule for our
upcoming run.  There is a run in November, but the startup of that run
has been delayed until the middle of November for various reasons, and
the run has been shortened.  That puts us in a bit of a bind from the
point of view of the schedule, with the Tagger Review coming in the
middle of November, and the end of semester rush shortly thereafter.
Ken suggested that we delay the run until next March.  The Spring 2009
run has been expanded to include time lost during Fall 2008, so we can
get more time then.  Also I think there are some things that we can do
between now and then to enhance our use of the beam time.  Therefore I
told him that we agree to defer until spring.  If there are any
objections to that, please let me know.  Ken supports the work we are
doing, and is not just trying to put us off.  I think it is better to
have the extra beam time to allow more for setup.  Remember last time
that there were problems with the camera focus that we only discovered
after the run.

So my proposal is as follows.  Reschedule the CHESS run for GlueX until
March, 2009.  The tentative date for startup is March 13, 2009.  We will
be the first users on endstation C as soon as the beam returns.  As soon
as the rush for the review is over, we can discuss our goals for the
coming run.  If there are objections, please let me know soon, today if
possible.

Richard Jones