different quad for the tagger

Dear Colleagues

I believe I have found some quadrupoles available here at JLAB which
would be
usable for the  tagger. The quadrupoles from the Helios transfer line
are available
for us to use. I think we can use two of these quadrupoles for the
focusing magnet
in the tagger. The specifications of the quadrupoles are given below
along with the
requirements in the present design and the specifications on the WIKI.
Two of the
Helios quadruples would be able to provide 14 T/m gradient over 400 mm
length.
The present design calls for 5.2 T/m over 313mm. Therefore the Helios
quadrupoles would need
to run at 4.1 T/m in our present design. This is 3.4 times less than
their max rating. This
should be enough. Does anyone know why the WIKI spec call for 20T/m and
400mm?
The Helios magnets only have a aperture of 20 mm which is substantially
smaller than the
30mm in the WIKI spec. At present we are planning to use a 25mm beamline
through these
quads so we would have to go to a smaller diameter pipe.

The big advantage of these magnets is that they are free and we then
save 20K$.

Jim

Helios quadrupoles:
=======================================
   Aperture diameter                         20 mm ± 2mm
   Magnetic length                             200 mm
   Max magnetic field gradient           14 T/m
   Field Uniformity                            1%
   Ampere Turns                               2508 A-T
   Maximum Current                         19A
   Maximum Power consumption      192W

Present Design:
   Aperture diameter                         36.2 mm
   Magnetic length                             313 mm
   Max magnetic field gradient           5.2 T/m

Wiki Spec
  Aperture diameter                         30 mm ± 2mm
   Magnetic length                            400 mm
   Max magnetic field gradient          20 T/m