Re: uniform field region

Hello Yang

Do you agree that 3 parts in 10^4 is appropriately 70mm from the
effective field boundary which corresponds to the root of the pole in
the present design?

The arc I drew corresponds to the trajectory of the 12 GeV beam
particles. You are right that I should expand this to give a bit more
space for the beam. I propose to increase the hatched region beyond the
12GeV trajectory by 1cm. This gives 1cm to miss-steer the beam to the
outside and remain in the "good field" region.

The beam pipe at the entrance of the magnet will probably have an ID of
about 17mm. Based on this I think 2cm is too much space.  From the inner
field boundary to the quadrant of the arc defining the beam trajectory
there is a distance of 88.5mm. If the 70mm line corresponds to 3 parts
in 10^4 then the maximum tolerance we can give the beam is 18.5mm.
Clearly 2cm is too much. I am not horribly bound to 1cm clearance and if
you prefer we can make it 15mm but we cannot make it much larger.

Jim

Guangliang Yang wrote:
> Dear Jim,
>
>    I agree with you that the specification for the field uniformity should
> be changed. The old specification is based on the specification for the
> Mainz tagger which was operated 1 T ( which means it is much easier to get
> high field uniformity). We should make the specification based on our
> calculation. About your drawing, I think we should increase the hatched
> region beyond the 12 GeV electron trajectory by several centimeters, because
> we also need a uniform field for the main beam.
>
> Cheers
>
> Yang

PNG image