Re: specification for the uniform field region

Jim,

I can imagine a number of definitions for the effective field boundary,
all of which correspond to the hard edge approximation in the
step-function limit.  I agree that the particular choice you made is
specifically suited to our requirements, but at the same time it seems
difficult for a vendor to guarantee because it involves integrals along
long curved paths through the magnet whose functional shapes themselves
depend on integrals of the magnetic field.  This means that the shape of
the effective field boundary is a highly non-local function of the
global field.  Compare that with the Mainz spec that involves integrals
along straight lines.  I can imagine that just about any vendor could
imagine how to determine that his magnet meets that spec.

-Richard Jones