Re: Connectors

Hi Fernando,
	At the ADC board I am recommending that we use a connector with a
rugged metal backshell, providing latches and a means of grounding the
cable shield. Specifically, I'm looking at 3M # 10250-1210VE for the
board. (Sorry I don't have the full mating part numbers at hand right
now). This is what 3M calls "mini-D-ribbon" connector. The plug is an
IDC connection to 0.025" pitch twist-n-flat cable. (I.E., half the
normal 0.050" pitch.)
	I don't have any particular requirements for the preamp card connector.
I would imagine that the full backshell is not needed or desired there.
I believe that the "SMC" connector line from ERNI, see
http://www.erni.com/smcfront.htd, would be an excellent choice for use
at the preamp boards. I have used these in the past with good results.
They are fairly rugged, have latches, the board connectors are SMT, etc.
I think the correct cable plug is 214347, board mount is 054596. The
connector height is 4.2mm so that should work ok.
	All of this is predicated on the half-pitch cable. I have a sample of
about 20 feet (Amphenol #168-3099-997, _not_ quite the right one for us)
and need to find some time to measure its attenuation curve, compared
with standard jacketed twist-n-flat.

	Gerard

Fernando J. Barbosa wrote:
> Hi Gerard,
>
> I understand you have selected a connector for the fADC-100. Have you
> also selected the connector that needs to go on the preamp card (25 pair)?
>    I need to know which connector is used and verify its dimensions.
> There is a 5mm space between the FDC planes where these connectors need
> to be installed and these connectors also need to have the
> ejector/retainer for securing the cable connector to the PCB.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fernando

168-3099-997_996_Rev5.PDF