Re: Back of the envelope Dynamic range

Hi folks,
	There are a couple of misconceptions I think lurking around here...
First a small factor: naively treating the ion drift in the FDC as a
cylindrical chamber, applying standard formulas for instance from a
paper of Radeka, I get the signal charge is
Q(t)=Q0 * ln(1+t/t0) / ( 2*ln(rc/ra) ).
Here Q0 is the _total_ signal charge to time infinity;
rc is the "cathode radius", I'll use 5mm;
ra is the effective anode radius, I'll use 13um (it must be a little
larger than the wire, the mean radius of ion production in the avalanche
is what you put here);
t0 is the time scale parameter, t0=ra/(2*mu*V), I'll use mu=1.62e-4 and
V=1650, then t0=1.88ns;
With this Q(10ns) = 15% of Q0. 20% is too high a figure I think.
	Secondly, it is all a little too simplistic to pretend that the preamp
measures just a charge and that it is exactly the charge delivered in
10ns. Both the signal and the preamp/shaper/ADC system have a frequency
response to consider here, and the overall response to detector current
is not simply an integration (g(s)=1/s) response over all the relevant
frequencies. We are not measuring precisely the charge or the current
but something in between. Back-of-the-envelope "charge" discussions
about the signal size may be useful to set the rough scale, but we need
someday to converge on a real specification, and that can only come from
a calculation or simulation that includes the less trivial
time/frequency response of the system.
	Thirdly, it is obvious both a priori and from a quick look at signals
from the prototype, that not all the electrons arrive at the anode wire
simultaneously. Of course details of the arrival time distribution
depend on the track parameters, but I _guess_ it's probably fair to
assume a fluctuating fraction maybe 10% to 50% of the signal charge
actually arrives at the preamp in "the largest" 10 ns interval. I think
all the FDC/CDC signal size calculations I have seen written so far have
been ignoring this...
	Fourth: a capacitance match on the preamp (Cdet=Camp) is in reference
to the _open_-loop amplifier; the closed-loop preamplifier is supposed
to have a much lower input impedance than that. _All_ of the charge is
supposed to go into the preamp (if the far side of the detector is not
having a termination resistor, of course; and of course this is also
ignoring the non-infinite coupling capacitance and charge sharing
between preamp and detector due to that). [I'm also not sure that this
ASIC is subject to this capacitive match rule, it does not directly
apply for such short peaking times, maybe?] In any case, this means a
factor of 1/2 for "capacitance match" is _not_ present and should be
dropped out of Fernando's slide.
	[Ok Elton also already addressed this one by now...]: Fifth, I don't
know much about it but the figure of 100 (or 90) e-ion pairs produced by
the track, is the mean, isn't it? And the distribution of it (Landau
distribution?) has a significant tail. The implication being, we can't
just use the mean value to set the signal range of the readout
electronics or else it's going to saturate on a lot of events. Some
factor needs to be included, to account for the ratio between point
where remaining tail is ignorable and the mean. Unless I goofed the
math, I find a factor 2.2 should be included, for 5% of events are more
than a factor 2.2 greater than the mean. [Elton says 3.0.]

	Gerard

p.s. Elton in your summary, you don't mention the CDC track inclination
(path length) contribution. Isn't that important? What is the
distribution of track lengths in the CDC? (I think Ryan produced a plot
of this for us once... I don't know if it is still accurate today.)