Re: FDC cableing

Hi Joe,

    I'm not an expert, but when I ordered coaxial cable for PrimEx, I
was advised to get the mylar layer not as a grounding shield, but to
block contamination of chemicals leaking from the outer jacket into the
diaelectric and changing the propagation properties over time. I was
also told that this was even desirable for "non-contaminating" jackets
since they were really just "less" contaminating. Bill Stephens was the
person who advised me. I think he may be retired now, but he was an
electrical engineer at UVa who had a lot of experience with these
things. I'm not even sure what type of cable this is you're looking at,
but thought I'd throw this in FYI.

Regards,
-David

Joe Beaufait wrote:
> I am glad we have decided to go ahead and purchase a sample of the 25
> pr. cable. This cable is going to be the standard for much of the data
> acquisition system and it would be very nice to see how hard it is to
> work with.
>
> On that note, there were some comments made at the Wednesday FDC
> meeting  concerning the possible redesign of the cable. Daniel
> mentioned that we might ask to make the outer jacket thiner and I
> promised to look into it but, while looking at the cable diagram I
> also noticed that this cable is double shielded. It has an aluminized
> mylar layer with drain wire, and a copper braid. I believe we could do
> away with the copper braid and reduce the copper in the cable by at
> least half.
>
> I would like comments from the group on whether or not you would like
> me  to pursue this.
>
> Thanks
> Joe

  David Lawrence Ph.D.
  Staff Scientist                 Office: (757)269-5567   [[[  [   [ [
  Jefferson Lab                   Pager:  (757)584-5567   [  [ [ [ [ [
  http://www.jlab.org/~davidl     davidl@jlab.org         [[[  [[ [[ [[[