cable

Hi Joe,
	I have been making measurements on the cable sample (the 25-pair cable
for FDC/CDC readout). Definitely I am coming to the conclusion that it
would be _better_ [I don't say it is _necessary_, just better] to have a
better quality dieletric in the cable - the current design uses PVC and
this has a high dielectric loss and furthermore the loss is
significantly temperature dependent. The end result is, it will be
rather difficult to cancel the frequency-dependent losses in this cable
with a simple analog circuit. Of course, we might consider using digital
tail cancellation (which can be adjustable, unlike the analog version),
or we might just live with it. I'm not ready to draw any final
conclusions on this yet.
	But I am at a point where I think it would be worthwhile to make a cost
comparison between the present cable (our default choice) versus one
where the wire pair insulation is a better material. Everything else
about the cable can remain as it is, in particular the outer jacket
material can certainly remain PVC.
	Since you have handled all the recent discussions with Amphenol, it
would probably be best if you could make this inquiry.
	Specifically, I would like to know whether they can make version of the
cable with better dielectric on the wire pairs, either FEP or any other
material they can recommend. FEP is a far superior dielectric material
(loss factor 0.0005 vs. 0.025). There are probably other choices. Their
halogen-free cable uses polyolefin, I don't know its dielectric loss
factor, probably it is better than PVC though. We would be happy if the
dielectric loss is 10X lower than this present PVC cable, and relative
temperature dependence no worse than PVC. So, we're asking for a
dissipation factor of 0.0025 or better, I think.
	If they can make such a cable, of course the question is then how does
the cost compare? If it doubles the cost I suppose it will be out of the
question...
	Can you make inquiries? Or if you prefer I ask them directly, let me
know, and tell me who is your technical contact person for the cable.
	Thanks,

	Gerard