Re: New Preamp Tests

Hi Fernando, Simon,
	I'm confused, why does it matter that the polarity is backwards from
what you expect? It's arbitrary anyway. Would it not be better to adjust
the ADC baseline trimpot (or the baseline trimpot on the receiver/shaper
board) so that the signals can be used in this "reverse" polarity? If we
misapply the ASIC (such that it's internal bias point is not at the
"bottom" end of the signal range but rather the "top") this will
compromise its performance. [Not only a reduced dynamic range but
linearity and slew rates can be different.] Measurements taken that way
won't necessarily correspond to the real performance. The
receiver/shaper board and the ADC _will_ work with signals of either
polarity, so there is _no_ problem to have "the wrong" polarity of
signals there. (Of course, in Simon's analysis software the sign will
have to be flipped, that I presume is easy.)
	If we _must_ have the expected polarity of signals, please cross the
cable wire pairs rather than crossing the ASIC input pins, I suggest.
	Possibly the reason for the wrong polarity is that the ERNI connector
uses b1 on the first wire (red wire) of the cable, a1 is the 2nd wire.
This is a strange convention but that is the way ERNI has it. I think we
overlooked this in defining the ERNI connector pinout.

	Gerard