Re: New Preamp Tests

Hi Gerard,

    I agree, the polarity is arbitrary - Simon will let us know if
that's not the case. In my previous email, I didn't mean to imply that
we should use the cards in the reverse of their intended application -
just an observation. Clearly, the best approach for using all the 16
channels and because of polarity, if needed, is to build a simple wire
adapter on the shaper end, as you suggested earlier.

    I noticed that you referred to the channel numbers starting with
channel 0 in your earlier email. We should stick to the convention
adopted on the ASIC as 1-8 and carry it on, at least to the input of the
fADC.

Regards,
Fernando

Gerard Visser wrote:
> Hi Fernando, Simon,
>     I'm confused, why does it matter that the polarity is backwards
> from what you expect? It's arbitrary anyway. Would it not be better to
> adjust the ADC baseline trimpot (or the baseline trimpot on the
> receiver/shaper board) so that the signals can be used in this
> "reverse" polarity? If we misapply the ASIC (such that it's internal
> bias point is not at the "bottom" end of the signal range but rather
> the "top") this will compromise its performance. [Not only a reduced
> dynamic range but linearity and slew rates can be different.]
> Measurements taken that way won't necessarily correspond to the real
> performance. The receiver/shaper board and the ADC _will_ work with
> signals of either polarity, so there is _no_ problem to have "the
> wrong" polarity of signals there. (Of course, in Simon's analysis
> software the sign will have to be flipped, that I presume is easy.)
>     If we _must_ have the expected polarity of signals, please cross
> the cable wire pairs rather than crossing the ASIC input pins, I suggest.
>     Possibly the reason for the wrong polarity is that the ERNI
> connector uses b1 on the first wire (red wire) of the cable, a1 is the
> 2nd wire. This is a strange convention but that is the way ERNI has
> it. I think we overlooked this in defining the ERNI connector pinout.
>
>     Gerard
>

> Fernando J. Barbosa wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>>     I just have a few comments regarding the latest tests that Simon and
>> I performed with the new preamp on the FDC prototype:
>>
>> Polarity: The polarity at the output of Gerard's modules (shaper boards)
>> is reversed relative to what we would expect. Because of this, we are
>> using the anode preamp card  (A inputs) on the cathodes and the cathode
>> preamp card (B inputs) on the  anode wires. It is understood that the
>> dynamic range is not well matched in this way as the A and B inputs have
>> been designed to handle the anode and cathode wires, respectively.
>> Simon, can then connect the outputs to the ADC. The polarity reversal
>> has to do with  the order  of the outputs  going into the shaper board.
>> Gerard, can you comment on this? Sometime ago you mentioned that the
>> polarity could be selected on the shaper board but maybe you were
>> referring to the final board.
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr:Suite #10, 12B3;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606;USA