motivation for tracking resolution

This morning Curtis, Alex, Mark and I met to think about what parametric
studies might be useful to study tradeoffs in resolution for different
amounts of material and position resolution.

We have the following suggestion:
1. Update the parametric representation for resolution (polynomial
fits) that currently exists to one that includes parameters that can be
interpreted physically in terms of material and position resolution.
2. Generate a four-pion events with two of the pions representing a narrow
resonance with variable mass. Scanning this mass can give us two-pion mass
resolution for charged tracks over a range of masses.
3. Generate Phythia events with similar topoly for merging with the
"signal" events above to study the effect of signal to background and
resoltuion.
4. Alex will start on process 2&3 and Elton and Mark will develop 1 for
input into the simulation.
5. CMU will use 1 to generate an error matrix that can be used for
kinematic fitting of the same events, and repeat the exercise 3 using
kinematic fitting.

From there we can work toward including neutrals in the sample to study
reconstruction of events with pi+pi-pi0 such as omegas.

Comments/suggestions?

Elton Smith
Jefferson Lab MS 12H5
12000 Jefferson Ave