Re: CDC design (fwd)

Hi Gerard,

Gerard Visser wrote:
> Indeed, I have one small comment -->
>
>     - Gerard
>
> Elton Smith wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I think this discussion should go to the listserver, both to inform a
>> larger audience, as well as for archiving.
>>
>> Cheers, Elton.
>
> Well, if a wire breaks and stays shorted to ground, you can at some
> small access opportunity pull the HVB/preamp assembly, remove the one
> bias resistor, and reinstall, restoring the other 23 straws without
> opening the detector itself. Now, I may be overoptimistic in thinking
> how easy or often such an access will come... But, still, I believe we
> should be very careful before defining any "minimal failure impact"
> mapping of straws to HVB's, if the tradeoff is longer connecting wire
> lengths. Fernando, I think you share my concern about any more wire
> length than we can barely get away with. It raises the crosstalk and
> especially the EMI or feedback issues. Of course if there are choices
> like HVB orientation that affect the "failure impact" while leaving
> the connecting wire length minimized, that is great.
Removing a resistor is also a good option and an alternative to having
jumpers, for example. I think access is not going to be easy: there is
the target, start counter, cables and a myriad of other devices and
structures in this area.

Yes, we share the same concern about wire length  - I guess we have had
our share of long hours trying to get these type of detectors to work
right. I have been emphasizing for some time that the connections from
the straws to the preamp need to be short. With reference to the
tracking efficiency and straw groups, I was thinking more in terms of a
defined radius of minimal cable length from a connector to select the
straws. Grouping straws radially with reference to the target is not
good but choosing those perpendicular to the tracks, at the same radius
say, is a better approach. Generally speaking, there are preferred
orientations for selecting a group of 24 straws. There are also
orientations to avoid.

Regards,
Fernando

begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr:Suite #10, 12B3;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606;USA