Re: CDC upstream end config

Hi Tim,

Yes, that would require additional work. FEP is available as a shrink
wrap, as well as, PVC, Polyolefin, Kynar, Teflon, Viton and Neoprene.

Regards,
Fernando

Tim Whitlatch wrote:
> Thank you Fernando for your reply. This would require someone to
> install the FEP jacket on all the wire? Is this shrink wrap?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim
>
> Fernando J. Barbosa wrote:
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> My comments follow:
>>
>> Tim Whitlatch wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> Per our video conference this morning, the following was discussed;
>>>
>>> Gary will continue to manufacture a 24 place upstream plate with
>>> proper geometries from "geometry C". this will give room for
>>> simulating worst case spacial considerations for assy. He will
>>> pursue the original type setup with 5.5 inch long cables max.
>>>
>>> As a backup, Gary will manufacture an offset plate with the 24 holes
>>> to take the stress off the conductive rubber sleeve (per SLAVA)
>>>
>>> Fernando, Gary followed up on the coax cables you suggested. They
>>> all seem to come without an outside insulating jacket. Is it
>>> possible to use these cables by keeping the braided shield at
>>> ground? Also, is it possible to use cable that is not rated for our
>>> high voltage by doing some tests?
>> Of the two suggestions to check the cable routing, one of the coaxes
>> should have a jacket but the semi-rigid cable should have an
>> aluminized jacket. In this case, an insulating sleeve/jacket needs to
>> be installed and there are various types offered by multiple
>> companies. I suggest FEP, if available in the required diameter. The
>> shield needs to be at HV and in normal operation the potential
>> difference between the shield and the inner conductor is zero.
>> However, if a straw wire is disabled, the full HV potential will be
>> present and the cable needs to conform to these requirements.
>>
>> Cables can certainly be tested at higher voltages than the rated
>> operating voltage specified by the manufacturer but that's a safety
>> issue. I strongly recommend against overlooking the manufacturer's
>> safety specifications.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Fernando
>>

>>> I will pursue with Tom Carstens from Hall B about connector leaks on
>>> their drift chambers.
>>>
>>> Yves will look at getting some extension pcbs made for testing
>>> Slava's ides per layout on 9-29-08. Can we get a connector made
>>> directly onto the HV board that would plug into this?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your time,
>>>
>>> Tim

begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr:Suite #10, 12B3;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606;USA