Re: CDC upstream end config

Hi Curtis,

I believe I didn't fully address the first part of your question on your
earlier email. This has to do with the use of the shielded cable
connecting the straws to the connectors.

On option #1, a voltage trip  turns off the HV supply for a HVB card (24
straws). In this case, the cable does not need to have a spec meeting
the operating voltage of the straws because the potential difference
between the inner conductor and the shield (connected to the same HV
supply channel) is always about zero. The cable shields need to be
insulated to prevent contact with adjacent groups of 24 straws. The
cable can be very thin.

On option #2, there is a requirement to disable individual straws within
the same group of 24 straws. In this case, the shielded cable needs to
meet the operating HV rating at all times. The shield also needs to be
connected to a fixed, low impedance reference, either HV or ground
(attach to the connector accordingly). Connecting to ground has the
advantage that the shield does not require an insulation jacket. The
cable cannot be as thin as the one in option #1.

Please refer to my earlier email regarding the cable specs.

Regards,
Fernando

Fernando J. Barbosa wrote:
> Hi Curtis,
>
> Coax cable manufacturers specify the operating voltage between the
> inner conductor and the shield and where the shield is normally at
> ground - most applications. This spec refers to the dielectric between
> the inner conductor and the shield, among other variables. The
> manufacturers also specify the type and dimensions of the jacket
> insulating material which can then be used to determine their usage or
> application.
>
> Regards,
> Fernando
>

> Curtis A. Meyer wrote:
>> Hi Fernando -
>>
>>    I know that you have stated that the shield needs to be at HV, but
>> I originally thought this was because the cable you had was not
>> spec'd for high voltage. Are we sure that any cable is really spec'd
>> to have high voltage on the shield? Most manufacturers spec the inner
>> wire relative the the shield and the outside world, but I don't
>> recall seeing
>> a spec from the shield to the outside world?
>>
>>     Curtis
>>
>> On Mon December 8 2008, Tim Whitlatch wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you Fernando for your reply. This would require someone to
>>> install the FEP jacket on all the wire? Is this shrink wrap?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Tim

begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr:Suite #10, 12B3;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606;USA