Prototype tests - Summer 2009

Hello all,

Tests of the CDC and FDC prototypes are expected to start in June 2009.
The major electronics hardware items to consider are:

1. fADC125 - 3 modules (72 channels each) - not available yet.
2. F1TDCs - We will use the V1, 64 ch units but these require
LVDS-to-ECL converters to work with the ASIC discriminators (FDC anodes
only) - available.
3. Small HV cables - available
4. Low voltage cables - available
5. HV power supplies - Should we plan on purchasing CAEN mainframe and
modules? One package of the FDC requires 48 +HV channels and 48 -HV
channels (2 modules). The CDC will also require one module. How many
fully instrumented channels are required at the same time?
6. LV power supplies - Because the MPOD supplies from Wiener are not
available yet, bench supplies will need to be accounted for.
7. ASIC - GAS-II submission is on track for 23 Feb 2009 and available by
late Spring 2009 - not available yet. There will be a total of 120 chips
to be assembled into ~35 preamp cards (840 channels and keep some ASIC
spares).
8. Preamp cards - To be re-designed for GAS-II - not available yet. To
be configured for anode-analog for CDC, anode-disc for FDC and cathode
for FDC.
9. HVB for CDC - Need to purchase additional units (components, fab,
assembly,test).

We need to discuss calibration (GlueX-doc-1185 or from the wiki) as this
may have an impact on the preamp card design. I suggest we resolve this
item before the end of February 2009.

We also need to start any procurements ASAP due to lead times and
procurement delays.

For long term planning, please keep in mind that procurement of the
final ASICs is scheduled for June 2010. Therefore, we should plan to
complete the electronics qualification tests by the end of September
2009 which allows for any redesign of the ASIC before production.

I would appreciate detailed test plans and schedules for the CDC and the
FDC by early March 2009.

Thanks,
Fernando
begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr:Suite #10, 12B3;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606;USA