Re: CDC configuration

Hi Everyone -

I had intended to get this email out earlier today, but have been running

around with my lab class until now. Included are the dimensions of things

that we used in the latest prototype. The straws here are just slightly under

1.6cm OD and are what we have used all along. These dimensions leave

on the order of 150 microns between straws in the layers and are what

the hole patterns are based on (this does both end-plates and at the center).

The other thing that has changed is the hole diameter through the endplate.

It is slightly larger here than before to accomodate the modified "insert

diameter".

It may indeed be possible to shrink the straws a bit and recover the 28.

First estimates are with the OD at 1.55 versus current design. The other

consideration is the donut, but shaving a couple hundred microns off

the OD of the donut should be ok.

Friday at 9:30am works for Yves and I. Gary is away until the end of

next week.

CDC Information:

The following numbers may be slightly different for earlier numbers for

the CDC. They are based on the material that was used to build the small

prototype chamber. The tubes have always been the numbers quoted below,

these are what we got. But we have been claiming that they were 1.600cm

diamter ( we are 125 microns smaller). The hole through the endplate

changed slightly from before as we had slightly redesigned the donut and

insert to allow for a better glue joint. The hole is now slightly larger

than before.

We would like to spec the straw ID to +1-0 mil, but need to iterate this with

the vendor. The OD has looser specs because of wrapping, thus the 150

micron spacing that we have left.

Straw Tubes: OD = 0.625 inches = 1.5875 cm

ID = 0.615 inches = 1.5672 cm

On all parts below, we have a tolerance of +1-0mil on an OD and -1+0 on an ID.

Donuts: OD = 0.615 inches = 1.5621 cm

ID = 0.437 inches = 1.1100 cm

Inserts: OD = 0.437 inches = 1.1100 cm

ID = 0.250

Pin Holder: OD = 0.250

ID =

Holes in endplate = 0.437 inches = 1.1100 cm

Upstream Endplate 0.375 inch tooling plate = 0.9525 cm thick

Downstream Endplate 0.236 inches = 0.6000 cm thick carbon fiber.

--

Professor Curtis A. Meyer Department of Physics

Phone: (412) 268-2745 Carnegie Mellon University

Fax: (412) 681-0648 Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890

cmeyer@ernest.phys.cmu.edu http://www.curtismeyer.com/