Re: back of the envelope

Eugene,

All of the tracks start with zero separation and at this level of
approximation, the separation is 1/2 cm per % of deviation of B field
per 60 cm of track length or roughly 80 microns per % of B field
deviation per cm of track length (again for this particular
configuration). So if we take a B field deviation of 10^-4 uniformly and
a track length of 50 cm, we get a position error of 40 microns. This is
small when added in quadrature with a 150 to 200 micron position
resolution and will be "smaller" still when multiple scattering is
considered. Again a uniform deviation is not what we are worried about,
but this is just to set the scale (as you originally and  aptly
suggested). As you know, the problem is that the non-uniform distortions
in field are very difficult to calibrate away.

  -- Mark

P. S. Went back to cc'ing the list again.