Re: cost estimates - more questions

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, Elke-Caroline Aschenauer wrote:

Dear George,

sorry more questions, hopefully not to stupid ones.

But first the good news removing discriminators and tds from the outer
calorimeter saves 240000k$

I know you are planning for a test stand for the sipmt-arrays.
If we go with the LV distribution version ala ILC, to apply the correct
resistor for each sipmt-array we need to know the bias corresponding to
certian gain like 1*10^6 befeore building the distribution chain.
Have you been planning on measuring the gain vs bias for the arrays in
your test stand. This can be quite an effort.

Even if we put the gain correction factors in the flash, we might want to
start from a rougly equal distribution to not loose to much dynamik range
of the fadc, so it would be good to have the measurement.

For the rest we can actually nicely monitor gain changes with time with
the response for minimum ionizing particles and can account for them in the fadc
to have a good trigger input.

Go this route we will safe 600000 k$ on HV-boards, of course building the
distribution system cost something and the test stand to measure gains vs
bias voltage.

Tell me what you think about my thoughts, I hope they are not to st.....

Cheers elke

> [...]
>
> I can ask chris this is an option.
> I agree with you that you can build a distribution system which takes
> care about small channel to channel variations, and if we can apply gain
> factors in FADC even different time constants in ageing are to relevant.
> The only open question would be the effect on the TOF performance.
>
> I will ask at DESY to see what their experience is also they have studied
> the variation in gain for different SiPMTs with the same bias voltage.
> I keep you in formed, what I find.
>

> > >4. there is also the question where to but the cfds and where to do the
> > >   summing. Cables are also an issue.
> > >   If we would but the CFDs next to the SiPMTs we need double the amount
> > >   of cables 8000 instead of 4000, I think that is not an option, summing
> > >   the outer BCAL channels by 2 directly next to the SiPMTs will only safe
> > >   1000 cables.
> > >   ----> so I think we have to put the CFDs after the cables
> > >   ----> comments
> > >

> > With the outer layer SiPM arrays combined in two's and/or four's, we
> > don't even want to use CFD's but we certainly want to discriminate them
> > since most of the cells will add zero signal but will contribute DR
> > P.E.'s.  This discrimination can happen after their combination at some
> > level, say 10 P.E.'s (about 260 keV in energy deposition).   For the
> > inner layers is there such a problem with cables?  If yes, then we can
> > indeed discriminate them when the analog signal cable reaches the
> > electronics racks.
> >

> ups, here you lost me. If I don't use the outer bcal for tof, I also need
> any discriminator on it or do I miss something. The FADC of course would
> is untouched.
>

> I will implement the changes for the cfd's and also the f1tdc.
> For the LV I would like to see what they say at DESY.
>

> Cheers elke
>

> > I hope I have answered most of them in an informative way,
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > George
> >

>  ( `,_' )+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=-+=
>   )    `\                                                  -
>  /    '. |                                                  +
>  |       `,              Elke-Caroline Aschenauer            =
>   \,_  `-/                                                    -
>   ,&&&&&V         Jefferson Lab                                +
>  ,&&&&&&&&:       HALL-D 12C / F381       121-A Atlantic Avenue =
> ,&&&&&&&&&&;      Mailstop: 12H5          Hampton, VA 23664      -
> |  |&&&&&&&;\     12000 Jefferson Ave                             +
> |  |       :_) _  Newport News, VA 23606  Tel.:  001-757-224-1216  =
> |  |       ;--' | Mail:  elke@jlab.org    Mobil: 001-757-256-5224   -
>    \_    |  |---' Tel.:  001-757-269-5352                             =
>      `-._\__/     Fax.:  001-757-269-6248                              -

 |       `,              Elke-Caroline Aschenauer            =