Re: list of assignments for bcal decision

Hi Elton:

A brief feedback to your report follows.  I hope to give it a more
detailed read and perhaps have more comments later next week but
somethings should be updated now:

1.  On Table 1, the PDE at 490 nm is quoted as 4% for the SiPM.  The
number is actually closer to 12% now and improving.  The gain uniformity
of all SiPM's at the same values above breakdown voltage is within 10%
of median.  Mind you, the statistics so far are coming from CPTA and
MEPHI but this is a property of the Si and Geiger avalanche process and
does not depend on manufacturer.  From SensL we have seen variations in
breakdown voltage (and thus gain) to less than 2% but we need better
statistics to confirm over a large sample.

These numbers affect the figures and conclusions, particularly the PDE.
However, your calculations do indeed point out that for low energies,
photons become precious and we cannot be casual in throwing them away.
The variation in gain of the Planacon's individual read out cells, even
in the absence of any magnetic field, bring the effect on the floor term
to the fore front.  A 50% variation among say 16 channels when we have
no control over the gain by changing bias, has to be modeled in detail
to see  whether it can be tolerated.

Finally, the chamber cables will come into effect for low energy photons
so before we rush to conclusions on the sensors, we have to know what
we're limited to by other factors.

Thanks for the nice summary of the issues,

George

>>> Elton Smith <elton@jlab.org> 04/13/07 8:10 AM >>>

HI George,

I have posted an update to the note on specifications and evaluation of
readout options (GlueX-doc-795). Before you get too excited: this is
just
a draft and I am trying to prepare a framework for evaluating various
options. The numbers I have included need to checked and we need to
discuss whether my logic is appropriate. These issues also need to be
considered along with the information you are putting together.

One particular issue that I became aware of is that many of the
requirements are driven by conditions at the nominal threshold of 20
MeV.
We can discuss the implications of this requirement on Monday at our
phone
conference.

We also need to think about an goals and agenda for the workshop Apr
23-24. It appears that we will have visitors from SensL, but I do not
think they should participate in all our discussions, although their
input
would be very valuable. Elke has suggested to meet with them on Monday
afternoon after we have had some time for internal discussions in the
morning. We also need to schedule video conference sessions where others
can participate remotely (e.g. Christina and Richard + others).

Cheers, Elton.

>                                          Christine
> > HI George,
> >
> > See below:
> >

> > On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, George Lolos wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Elton:
> >>
> >> A couple of comments with regards to your e-mail below:
> >>
> >> 1. The review (teleconference I presume) next Monday is a good idea
and
> >> we will participate from Regina.
> >
> > We are planning for 1:00 pm on Monday.
> >
> > To connect by telephone:
> >
> > 1.) dial:
> >  800-377-8846 : US
> >  888-276-7715 : Canada
> >  302-709-8424 : International
> >
> > 2.) enter participant code: 39527048#  (remember the "#")
> >

> >> 2. I thought that the meeting on the 23rd is not to make any
decision
> >> regarding the BCAL read-out, but instead we will discuss in great
> >> technical details the various options (SiPM's, Planacons and mesh
> >> PMT's).  Yet you refer to a decision that gets my blood flowing.
> >> Anything changed or it was a Freudian slip? :-)
> >>
> > What we present at the Lehman review this June and how this is
presented
> > must definitely be decided. We are already turning in budget
estimates
> > based on assumptions of the readout, and we need to be able to back
them
> > up with quantitative arguments.
> >
> > In addition need to satisfy one of our internal milestones for FY07
which
> > is a "decision on the readout for the barrel calorimeter." This was
> > presented at the last Lehman review and is also shown as slide #6 in
the
> > manpower and budget presentation that Elke showed the collaboration
less
> > than two weeks ago (see
/group/halld/INFO-FOR-COLLAB/Budget_manpower.ppt)

> > Also, the deadline for the following Recommendation #27 IPR (2005)
Sec 2.5
> [...]
> >>
> > We have not heard anything about anyone from SensL visiting JLab,
and we
> > want to make sure that their time he is productive. So they should
let us
> > their schedule ASAP. Depending on who is coming and their expertise
> > (technical? sales?), it may or not be appropriate for them to
participate
> > in our discussions.
> >
> > One of the single most important numbers we need from them (an
informal
> > budgetary estimate is fine, but needs to written down) is the cost
per
> > channel of SiPMs in production (including all auxiliary
> > mounting/electronics/etc that would be necessary for a particular
> > configuration).
> >
> >> 4. Before Zisis and George commit themselves to yet another
document,
> >> please have a look at 739, 708 and 664 (all by Zisis) and see if
the
> >> info is not already there.  I am also working on a detailed report
> >> showing BCAL response to photons, spectra and read-out segmentation
and
> >> how it matches the SiPM parameters.  Manpower at the UofR is so
tight
> >> now, any duplication of effort on material already readily
available
> >> will only make things worse on other fronts.
> >>
> > I hear you. I will try to collect together the necessary info.
> >
> >> The topics you listed look fine to me.
> >>
> >> So sprach Georg
> >>
> >> George

> >> Hi Bcal enthusiasts,
> >>
> >> I would like to reserve an hour on Monday afternoon (I suggest 1:00
pm)
> >> review issues that need addressing before the Bcal decision meeting
the
> >> following week. Below is a list of issues that need updates. I have
put
> >> some names down on the likely candidates for reporting on these.
> >>
> >> It might also be useful to go over the format/schedule for the Bcal
> >> review
> >> (times, format, etc). Do we want to ask a couple of persons which
are
> >> not
> >> direcly in the project to give us some feedback?
> >>
> >> I would also ask George/Zisis to prepare a 1-2 page table of Bcal
design
> >> parameters in a format similar to what was done for the drift
chambers
> >> before the DC review (See for example GlueX-doc-740). We will need
this
> >> for all subsystems in preparation for CD-2, so this is a good time
> >> create it for the Bcal. (This information is in various documents
and it
> >> will be useful to summarize it into a couple of pages).
> >>
> >> Topics (please send me items that are missing)
> >>
> >> 0.  How to summarize how physics needs drive the design specs

(LV/disc/signal/etc)