Re: Phase II

Hi George,

Any temperature stabilization in the hall will not be able to address
the temperature stabilization of the SiPMs. There are lots of
electronics inside the solenoid and cabling and pipes will negate any
attempt at stabilization.

At out meeting with Carl Jackson, we were told by Carl that SensL would
look into stabilizing the temperature of the array. That may necessitate
a variation on their present packaging of the array. He mentioned to me
that it may (most likely) require a metallic hermetic package. This is
all preliminary but certainly this issue needs to be addressed at the
SiPM level. Once this part is understood, the heat needs to be removed
by a cooling system similar to the one being designed for the FDC
electronics, using Fluorinert, for example.

You also raise a good point with the hall temperature stability. We need
to get better information on what king of stabilization and
environmental controls are scheduled to go into the hall or if we need
to further specify those controls. This information is of importance to
the other detector systems, as well.

Regards,
Fernando

George Lolos wrote:
> Hi Elke:
>
> Thanks for the detailed and prompt reply.  As for me being too tired
> last evening, you're right.  :-) However, what confused me was not the
> reference to the temperature stabilization but the connection to the
> electronics for it.  I was with the impression that the temperature
> (20 C was mentioned by Elton at the meeting with Carl Jackson) will be
> stabilized by external means in the Hall, not by SiPM related
> electronics.  So clearly I have missed something because last I
> looked, Peltier-type cooling devices for such areas are not cheap and
> no off the shelf items and will create their own heat generated issue.
>
> Take care,
>
> George

>>> I am baffled by this so I must have missed something.  If we don't go
>>> with cooling, as we all agree, how can we stabilize the effects of
>>> temperature variations with electronics alone?
>>>

>> George, you have been also tired yesterday evening. I mix gain and break
>> down voltage and you mix cooling and temperature stabilisation.
>>
>> We have been always saying we don't want to cool to -10^oC to get the
>> dark
>> counts down, but to keep the gain and dark count stable we might have to
>> keep the temperature stable at room temperature or slighly above.
>> Because
>> even if we reach a stable temperature in the hall the situation at the
>> location of the SiPMTs and especially from SiPMT to SiPMTs might not be
>> stable.

begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr:Suite #10, 12B3;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606;USA