score sheet for bcal readout designs

Dear collaborators,

I am starting to think about the general areas that we need to consider
and study in order to make a decision on which light detector should be
selected for the bcal. Here is a list for starters for discussion and
comments:

1. Technical specifications, already outlined in GlueX-doc-795
- SiPM tests are underway
- Werner has recent results of tests of fine mesh PMTs

2. Geometry, especially related to acceptance gap between Bcal and Fcal
- Light guides and inactive material is different for the two options. We
need to simulate the effect of each
- Precise configuration of light guides for FM pmts on the upstream end,
where the field at the end of the Bcal exceeds 0.5 T.
- Detail description of cables and electronics on each detector

3. Granularity.
- Optimization of distribution between inner and outer detectors
- Which detectors should have discriminators and TDCs
- Study of signal splitting, choice of discriminator - has an impact on
number of cables.

4. Resolution
- Complete simulation studies for correct thresholds for the FM.
- Studies of timing resolution. Realistic simulation for both photons and
charged particles
- Resolution for various geometry options (mentioned above).

Comments and feedback is welcome.

Cheers, Elton.

Elton Smith
Jefferson Lab MS 12H5