Re: robot for circuit boards

Hall D Electronics:

Hi Elke,

There was a fair amount of discussion of this about a year ago when I
started my new job, but it's certainly reasonable to revisit the issue.

This machine was originally purchased by JLab and loaned to IU to
evaluate robotic electronics assembly and to build prototype
Cockcroft-Walton bases for the FCal - 100 were made.  We had planned
to then use it for prototype flash ADCs, but that project was delayed
and eventually taken over by JLab.

Chris Cuevas wanted to move the machine to JLab maybe 1.5 years ago,
but there wasn't any money to pay for moving it (there was an
estimate from BeamWorks, the manufacturer, for $30K to move it), and
there was also some question of where to put it at JLab; it needs
compressed air, 240 volts, and is fairly noisy.

IU inquired about buying it from JLab for the estimated value after
depreciation (also ~$30K at that time), but that didn't seem to go
anywhere.  Another option that was discussed was for JLab to buy a
new machine and trade this one in as part of the transaction; IU
would then buy this one from BeamWorks.

In the fall of 2006, Elton agreed to renew the maintenance contract
and leave the machine at IU for the time being.  I used it recently
to build 64 boards for ATLAS.  It is available at IU for use by JLab,
but there haven't been any requests to do so yet.

Based on my experience, I don't think it makes sense to eventually
build 3000+ FCal Cockcroft-Walton bases with the machine, but it
would be extremely useful for repair and rework of the bases.

The machine does need regular preventive maintenance and has had a
few failed parts replaced, so if one stops paying for the maintenance
contract it will certainly stop working at some point.

I can discuss further by email or telephone at any time.

Paul