Re: FDC daughter board questions

Hi John,

First, sorry for the delay.

1. I am trying to design a single card that can be configured during
assembly to address both the anodes and the cathodes. I have not
completed the design as of yet. You may be aware that there were some
delays in setting the pinout on the ASIC. We have not heard from MOSIS
since the second revision which is a good thing.

2. I only got samples on the input connector. As it seems to be the only
feasible connector for the required thickness, I should go ahead and
order all of them - I got a quote and delivery information. I could then
send you some.

3. We will use the ERNI connector and I only have a sample. I should
also put an order for this one soon, now that we are settling on a cable.

Regards,
Fernando

John Schaapman wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
>   I have a few questions about your daughter boards.
>
> 1. Are you making only 24 channel prototype boards for this first batch of
> ASICs or are you making 16 channel boards for anodes and 24 channel boards
> for cathodes? In any case you must have two board layouts to take care of
> the signal polarities, right? ( INA used on the anode board and INB on the
> cathode board) So, anode boards need only to be tested with negative inputs
> and cathode boards only with positive inputs.
>
> 2. Input Connector.
>     In order to connect to the preamp inputs I need to use the same
> connector as you have chosen for your translator boards (ICM-MA50H-SS52-
> 1151). I’ve found that they are made by JST.  The only supplier I’ve found
> for these is Heilind Electronics who list the following part:   ICM-MA50H-
> SS521151LFSN which is ROHS compliant. They have a minimum order quantity of
> 180 which is certainly more than I need. I haven’t received a reply on price
> and delivery yet.
>   As an alternative, I thought maybe I could get some spare connectors from
> you if you have also run into the minimum order problem and have more than
> you need. Another alternative would be if I could get at least one of each
> type of your translator boards and adapt to them.
>
> 3. Output Connector.
>     Are you still planning to use the ERNI SMC style output connectors
> (054596 board mount, 21447 cable plug)? I’ll have to get some matching plugs
> to at least be able to apply terminators to the board.
>
> John
>
> John Schaapman                   Ph: 780-492-3043
> Centre for Particle Physics     Fax: 780-492-3408
> CEB-158
> Mailstop #615
> University of Alberta
> Edmonton, AB
> CANADA       T6G 2G7

begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr;dom:;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606