Re: Flash ADC Status - Front-end Test Results (fwd from Dave Mack)

Hi Elton,

    I have attached my responses to Dave Mack's questions.

Regards,
Fernando

    Fernando,

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Fernando J. Barbosa wrote:

 > > Hi Dave,
 > >
 > >     Thanks. The tests agree very well with the published data from the
 > > chip manufacturer for the 10-bit chip. This indicates that any "excess"
 > > noise due to the front-end circuitry is low and I am confident that the
 > > board will meet the 12-bit requirements. We plan to replace the 10-bit
 > > chips with their 12-bit versions soon and once we have tested the board
 > > completely.

    Thanks. I understand that different end-users may want different
ADC's. But I suspect the 12-bit version will be popular.

 > >     The cross-talk has been measured and there was none. One might
argue
 > > that the graph does not show any cross-talk due to the scale but there
 > > was really no change to the base-line in the data. We will accumulate
 > > more data over the next few weeks, though.

    None?! That's impressive. Presumably that means it was below the
resolution of a 10 bit ADC. It could pop up in the 12-bit version. It's
also possible that your front end anti-aliasing filter is killing the
switching transients from fast rise- and fall-times. When signals have 1
nsec risetimes, they make the whole board jump. You've reduced that
possibility considerably.

 > >     As for the linearity, yes we need to quantize that. I don't have a
 > > 12-bit ramp generator and doing DNL with pure sine-waves requires quite
 > > some work.

    These aren't easy measurements. I'm not very interested in
linearity, but some users (those with calorimeters for example) will be.

    regards,

    Dave

Elton Smith wrote:
> Hall D Electronics:

begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr;dom:;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606