Re: Preamp tests

Hello everyone,

    Yves has a good plan in trying to get the detector working under the
present conditions. I would suggest he concentrates on his step 1 in
trying to remove the oscillations with the new setup.

    For a great short summary and guidelines on HV filtering, component
values, etc., I suggest GlueX-doc-753 by Dan Carman. Although this note
was written for the FDC, it applies equally well to the CDC.

    I also recently placed a document on the portal (GlueX-doc-927) that
outlines the HV distribution and grounding for the FDC. This also
applies well to the CDC. I will circulate, hopefully before the
holidays, a document outlining the global HV, LV and grounding
distribution philosophy for Hall D - all detectors.

Best regards,
Fernando

Mitch Newcomer wrote:
> Hall D Electronics:
>
> I agree  the  33pf cap to shield is pretty small.   I'd be inclined to
> hook a 50ohm resistor Shield to the back of the preamp assembly and a
> capacitor on the other end in series with a  similar
> resistor.  Hopefully this trades off current in the shield with large
> voltage excursions.   We also break the copper connection on the HV
> return line using a 1k resistor in series
> with the return to the supply.  The filter cap on the HV should be on
> the detector side. The HV supply then has no copper connection to the
> detector HV lines or filtering direct to the supply.
>  The potentially noisy HV cable is decoupled at its entrance to the
> detector, not inside the RF shield.  -- Mitch
>

> Gerard Visser wrote:
>> Hall D Electronics:
>>
>> Hi Yves,
>>     I have here 20 capacitors, 330 pF 2.5 kV NP0-type ceramic in an
>> 1808 size surface mount package, Kemet P/N C1808C331JZGACTU. This (or
>> equivalent from AVX or Johanson) is the type I would strongly
>> recommend to use in any new design. It _may_ be possible to use
>> X7R-type ceramic but it is usually not a good idea from a noise point
>> of view.
>>     The above capacitors can be ordered from Digi-Key, stock number
>> is 399-4832-1-ND for cut tape packaging. They have stock. The price
>> is rather high if you only buy a small quantity... So my mind was to
>> try them out when I come visit you and then you can buy a large
>> quantity on a reel, suitable for production of some new HV boards.
>> But if you want to try some real soon, order some from DigiKey you
>> can have them in ~2days usually.
>>     The coupling capacitor being too small should (I expect) make
>> _absolutely_ no difference to any noise pickup or oscillation
>> problems. So, no need to change the coupling capacitor with a view to
>> fixing that.
>>     On the other hand the bypass caps should also be larger, for
>> these I have ordered and received 3.3 nF 3 kV X7R-type ceramic in an
>> 1812 size surface mount package, Johanson P/N 302S43W332KV4E, DigiKey
>> stock number 709-1056-1-ND. Again this is probably what I would
>> recommend to use in any new design. (But a larger value might be
>> dictated by test results.)
>>     Surface mount high-voltage ceramic capacitors are much smaller
>> for the same capacitance, primarily because leaded high voltage
>> ceramic capacitors usually use a traditional single-layer
>> construction, whereas the surface mount capacitors are usually
>> multilayer. They are quite reliable and easy to work with when
>> professionally reflow soldered and properly cleaned, but you do have
>> to use extreme care when hand soldering. Certainly they cannot be
>> hand soldered as a production method.
>>     About the signal connecting cable, I do believe still that coax
>> is unnecessary _if_ the connections are short. At present your
>> connections are not short. The coax shields should be AC grounded -
> [...]
begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr:Suite #10, 12B3;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606;USA