outline of monitoring issues for review

Folks,

To get the ball rolling, I wrote down a list of high-level monitoring
issues that could be discussed-before/written-for/presented-at the
upcoming systems review. I'm trying to gauge what the right level of
abstraction should be. It is on the wiki at
http://www.jlab.org/Hall-D/software/wiki/index.php/Monitoring:_Outline_of_Tasks_and_Issues
 and attached to this message as text. The next steps include filling
out some detail on what actual quantities need to be monitored. See
Eric's email for some contributions to the list.

Comments, please.

Sorry for the multiple list thing; didn't know where to send this.
Suggestions on this welcome as well.

  -- Mark

P. S. Elliott, where should this page be linked from?

Monitoring: Outline of Tasks and Issues

Scope: what to monitor and why

    1. Online and near-online
    2. Provide feedback to insure data quantity and quality
    3. All relevant areas:
         1. GlueX Detector
         2. Detector electronics
         3. Hall D systems
         4. relevant Accelerator systems
         5. relevant IT systems
         6. relevant Facilities Management systems

Beyond scope: what should be done by other means

    1. Safety
         1. Personnel
         2. Equipment
    2. Beam time accounting
    3. Personnel training/certification/qualification
    4. Shift-taking accounting
    5. Shift-takers' refreshment supply

Types of data: how data is produced

    1. Event based: in the data stream
         1. Triggered detector events
         2. Special events
    2. Slow controls: on-demand (usually), small data volume
         1. EPICS or EPICS-like devices
         2. stand-alone systems
    3. Video
    4. Web-based variables