fADC timing -- solution found

Hall D Electronics:

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your suggestion.

By reading the manual of the fADC, especially the part concerning event
directories, I found a solution. This page tells you that if you have an
event directory with the trigger bit set then the last 25 bits of that
data word contain the pointer to the next sample address (or the start of
your event - i call this start pointer). So far so good - this is what i
use in my code.

The end of that section reads: for more information .... see Next Sample
Address: this extra info (5 pages back) tells you that the first two bits
of the next sample address (bit 0 and 1) contain extra information - they
tell you how much the start pointer is off...:

bit0  bit1   meaning
0     0      all OK
0     1      1 sample before stop is not stored + correct start-pointer +1
1     0      2 samples before stop not stored + correct start-pointer +2
1     1      1 sample after stop stored + correct start-pointer -1

If you apply these corrections you see that eg in case 0 1 that your
leading edge is at the correct time but you have a cut off in the last
sample (last sample is not stored). In case 1 1 you see a signal in first
sample => that is the sample after the stop that is stored. I hope it
makes sense. Otherwise -> read the manual.

Cheers,
 	Yves

                           /--------------------------------
                          /   Yves Van Haarlem
        _--~~--_         /
      /~/_|  |_\~\      /      Carnegie Mellon University
     |____________|    /        Department of Physics
     |[][][][][][]|:= /          Wean Hall room 8404
   __| __         |__ \       	 Pittsburgh, PA 15213
  |  |[] []  ==   |  |   \   	    Tel.:   +1 412 268-6949
  |  |____________|  |    \                  +1 412 641-9252
  /__\            /__\     \	      Fax.: +1 412 681-0648