halld-collab : MOU's, equipment purchase, etc for Hall D R&D (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 09:41:38 -0400
From: Elliott Wolin <wolin@jlab.org>
To: IU Hall D Listserver <halld-collab@dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu>
Subject: halld-collab : MOU's, equipment purchase, etc for Hall D R&D

To all concerned with MOU's and JLab funding,

Purchase orders
---------------

JLab plans to implement all R&D funding via sole-source purchase orders to the
universities.  Be sure to include a business contact at your university in the
MOU.

The simplest payment scheme is a lump-sum payment upon receipt of the R&D
"deliverables".  Be sure to note the "period of performance" of the R&D in the
MOU.

If you can't cover the costs of the R&D and need some money early, there are two
possibilities.

1.  JLab can purchase an item directly and ship it to you (see below).
2.  We can stage payment on the purchase order.

Please let me know soon if you'll need staged payments.  This can be arranged
after the PO in an emergency, but it's much better to know this before the PO is
completed.  Note that we prefer the lump-sum payment mechanism.

Equipment
---------

The MOU's and purchase orders for Hall D R&D funding include a clause stating
that all equipment purchased belongs to JLab.

1.  JLab requests that when possible, generic equipment purchased (crates,
single-board computers, PC's, etc.) should be compatible with equipment common
at JLab. E.g. our Electronics group only supports and maintains certain types of
VME crates, VME cpu's, etc.

Contact me (wolin@jlab.org 757-269-7365) for more information.

2.  JLab maintains a small pool of electronics that can be lent to
universities.  E.g we have a lot of VME single-board computers (Radstone PPC's)
left over from the last CLAS upgrade.

Again, call me for more information.  Note that this does not mean you can
borrow a $3K cpu and then spend $3K on something else...the savings will be used
by Hall D for something else!

3.  JLab can purchase an item directly and lend it to you.  I prefer to do this
only for expensive items, as there's a lot of paperwork and phone calls
involved.  Usually I'll do this if a university needs something up front but
doesn't have the funds to cover the purchase.  Again the cost will be deducted
from the total cost in the MOU.

Status
------

I have signed MOU's from IU, ODU, and U.Regina.  I hope to have the IU PO in
place by the end of the week.  ODU and Regina should get out quickly after that.

Once I'm in the groove I hope to get the PO's out a few days after signing of
the MOU's.

				Sincerely,
					Elliott

   Help feed the hungry, one click at a time:  http://www.thehungersite.com

    "Science plays a major role in satisfying the minor needs of mankind"

n:Wolin;Elliott
tel;fax:757-269-5800
tel;home:757-229-2724
tel;work:757-269-7365
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Jefferson Lab;Physics Department
version:2.1
email;internet:wolin@jlab.org
title:Physicist
note:A218 CEBAF Center
adr;quoted-printable:;;12000 Jefferson Ave MS12H=0D=0A;Newport News;VA;23606;US
x-mozilla-cpt:;21408
fn:Elliott Wolin
end:vcard