[Fwd: Re: halld-collab : Truck Access into the Hall D Building]

Gentlemen of the Hall D persuasion,

Unsolicited words of experience from an ancient SLACer on the subject of
doors, who has had to face this question many times.

While I do not quite understand the construction of Hall D, I dare to opine:

1. Hall D is a tin shed with shielding for experiments inside, the
structure in no way contributes thereto.
	A standard, "thin" roll-up door, 12 feet wide by 15 feet high
(accommodates all highway oversize loads) is adequate. Keyed shielding
blocks with properly sized picking eyes, to be moved no more than 4 times a
year, and designed to cover the door opening are acceptable. The fork lift
access should be no larger than 9 ft by 9 ft, and should be separate from
the roll-up door, and hence of the concrete stack. A single concrete block
can cover the opening. Thickness TBD. All picking eyes are galvanized and
designed for N years and X picks (your definition) of operation at 150% of
full load.

Question: If the experiment is fully shielded inside the building, where
does the need for a shielded door come from? And why is there a need for
forklift access to the building, during an experiment? Is the beam still on?
If there is a need to unload trucks during an experiment, why not continue
the building crane rails to a staging area outside the building so that
supplies can be offloaded without interference? At the conclusion of the
run, the supplies can be moved into the building.

Do you have seismic restraint criteria?

2. Hall D is a concrete building, walls are 2+ ft thick. The structure is
the shield. Here a movable,thick, 12ft wide by 15 ft high door is highly
indicated. Yes, it may be expensive initially, but the freedom of access
and the relatively small operating expenses (maintenance, etc) more than
make up for the initial outlays. No special fork lift access needed.
Companies exist who install and instrument massive closure devices for
openings, and they are not that expensive.

A word from a "wise" guy who has been bitten too many times by the
question: the capital investment may be rather steep initially, but the
return from the savings on operating costs in this particular instance are
huge. And never mind the push button convenience. Do a spread sheet
analysis of your particular conditions if you need more convincing.

Unsolicitedly yours,

Steve St.Lorant, SLAC,

Sometime ESA and ESB Area Manager, who has had to use and maintain a few
enormous rolling doors in his time

["Remember, the hideously expensive infrastructure that we made you put in
at the beginning of your project will be the be the savior of your
experiments time and time again." (Joe Ballam, SLAC Associate Director for
Research, to me in 1966). How true, to this day.]

>To all Hall D Truckers,
>
>Topic: Truck access into the Hall D building
>
>Read on if you care!
>

>During construction we'll have some sort of big, thin roll-up door sized to
>allow a flatbed truck to back in under the crane.  But we need a fair
>amount of
>shielding in the walls and doors when running, and it's expensive to move
>thick
>shielding doors.
>
>Suresh suggested we cover the big door with concrete blocks after the
>construction phase is over, and have a much smaller (but thick) door to allow
>forklift access.
>
>Truck access into the building would still be possible, but the blocks
>covering
>the big door would have to be removed.  This procedure probably would take
>a few
>hours, or about a day to remove and then restack.
>
>I like Suresh's suggestion...does anyone have strong feelings about this?   I
>doubt we'll often need large truck access into the building during running
>periods.
>

>				Sincerely,
>					Elliott

>=
>
>   Help feed the hungry, one click at a time:  http://www.thehungersite.com
>
>    "Science plays a major role in satisfying the minor needs of mankind"

>=
>
>Attachment converted: Data:wolin.vcf 6 (TEXT/MSWD) (00005A87)
begin:vcard
n:Wolin;Elliott
tel;fax:757-269-5800
tel;home:757-229-2724
tel;work:757-269-7365
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Jefferson Lab;Physics Department
version:2.1
email;internet:wolin@jlab.org
title:Physicist
note:A218 CEBAF Center
adr;quoted-printable:;;12000 Jefferson Ave MS12H=0D=0A;Newport News;VA;23606;US
x-mozilla-cpt:;21408
fn:Elliott Wolin
end:vcard