Re: GlueX electronics workshop

HI Paul,

We discussed the tentative agenda at our local meeting this morning and
have the following comments/suggestions:

We talked about vendors. We do not think that this is a good time to bring
vendors into the discussion. We need to clarify requirements for
ourselves.  At the moment, as far as I know, there are no commercial
solutions for our experiment --except perhaps for HV, auxiliary logic,
even discriminators-- and the viability of having a custom solution is
probably not cost effective. I am afraid that the second day will defocus
our discussions away from the definition of requirements, which is what we
need to concentrate on.

What might be very useful is for someone to report on options that are
available commercially. This can be coupled with discussions of
maintenance, which is also not on the agenda.

1. Your introductory talk is very important and critical to laying out the
activities of the workshop. It should outline requirements for the entire
electronics system, identify holes in our present plans, etc.

2. We should have a talk on the F1 TDC boards, including recent experience
with production, multiple boards in a crate, etc. This should be separate
from the JLab FADC R&D talk.

3. Report on JLab FADC R&D. There is enough information for 2 & 3.

4. We need a talk on DAQ requirements for electronics (not a discussion of
CODA updates), e.g. blocking of events, trigger interface, trigger
supervisor, etc.

5. Need a discussion on requirements for preamps, clearing times for
electronics, sensitivity, gas gain and feedback. Perhaps Vladimir Popov
(detector group) would like to discuss some of these issues.

6. We need a discussion on backplanes, crates and form factors for the
experiment. This might be a oppportunity to start making decisions on this
topic.

7. Discussion of commercial options (see discussion above).

Cheers, Elton.

> ---------------
>
> Tentative topics/agenda:
>
> Wednesday, December 7:
>
> 9 am	Introduction/Overview/IU R&D     Paul Smith
>
> 10 am   JLab TDC/fADC R&D                Fernando?
>
> 11 am   Accelerator RF                   John Musson
>
> 11:30   Clock distribution               Ed Jastrzembski
>

> 1:30    Trigger R&D                      Dave Doughty
>
> 2:30    Discriminators/Preamps R&D       U Alberta
>
> 3:30    Ground/Power/Infrastructure      Chris Cuevas
>
> 4:30    Calibration/Pulser/Sync              ??
>

> Thursday, December 8:
>
> 9 am    Acqiris
>
> 10 am   CAEN/Wiener
>
> 11 am   Nallatech
>
> 1:30    Struck
>
> 2:30    Preparing for Lehman review     Elton? / Allison?
>
> 3:30    Summary / AOB                   Paul Smith

> Feel free to make changes; let's aim for sending this out by the end of
> the week.
>
> Paul

Elton Smith
Jefferson Lab