Re: GlueX electronics workshop

Elton (and JLab GlueXers),

Thanks for the prompt and valuable feedback on the tentative agenda for
the electronics workshop.  Version 2 is below.

On Nov 3, 2004, at 11:24 AM, Elton Smith wrote:

> HI Paul,
>
> We discussed the tentative agenda at our local meeting this morning and
> have the following comments/suggestions:
>
> We talked about vendors. We do not think that this is a good time to
> bring
> vendors into the discussion. We need to clarify requirements for
> ourselves.  At the moment, as far as I know, there are no commercial
> solutions for our experiment --except perhaps for HV, auxiliary logic,
> even discriminators-- and the viability of having a custom solution is
> probably not cost effective. I am afraid that the second day will
> defocus
> our discussions away from the definition of requirements, which is
> what we
> need to concentrate on.
>
> What might be very useful is for someone to report on options that are
> available commercially. This can be coupled with discussions of
> maintenance, which is also not on the agenda.

OK

> 1. Your introductory talk is very important and critical to laying out
> the
> activities of the workshop. It should outline requirements for the
> entire
> electronics system, identify holes in our present plans, etc.

I was planning to expand on the talk I gave at the recent detector
review.

> 2. We should have a talk on the F1 TDC boards, including recent
> experience
> with production, multiple boards in a crate, etc. This should be
> separate
> from the JLab FADC R&D talk.
>
> 3. Report on JLab FADC R&D. There is enough information for 2 & 3.

OK

> 4. We need a talk on DAQ requirements for electronics (not a
> discussion of
> CODA updates), e.g. blocking of events, trigger interface, trigger
> supervisor, etc.

Dave Doughty?

> 5. Need a discussion on requirements for preamps, clearing times for
> electronics, sensitivity, gas gain and feedback. Perhaps Vladimir Popov
> (detector group) would like to discuss some of these issues.

Could someone ask Vladimir?

> 6. We need a discussion on backplanes, crates and form factors for the
> experiment. This might be a oppportunity to start making decisions on
> this
> topic.

I'll volunteer to lead this unless someone else wants to do this.

> 7. Discussion of commercial options (see discussion above).

Volunteers?

Rev 2:

Tentative topics/agenda:

Wednesday, December 7:

9     am   Introduction & Overview          Paul Smith

10    am   JLab F1 TDC status               Ed Jastrzembski?

11    am   Accelerator RF                   John Musson

11:30 am   Clock distribution               Ed Jastrzembski

1:30  pm   Ground/Power/Infrastructure      Chris Cuevas

2:30  pm   Tracking requirements            Vladimir Popov

3:30  pm   Discriminators/Preamps R&D       U Alberta

4:30  pm   IU Cockcroft-Walton R&D          Paul Smith

Thursday, December 8:

9     am   IU fADC R&D                      Paul Smith

10    am   JLAB fADC R&D                    Fernando Barbosa

11    am   Commercial Options                  ??

11:30 am   Maintenance                      Chris Cuevas?

1:30  pm   Trigger/DAQ requirements         Dave Doughty

2:30  pm   Buses & Boards                   Paul Smith

3:30  pm   Summary / Lehman review / AOB    Elton Smith?

I would like to end by 4:30 pm so I can make a 6 pm flight.

I've tried to keep plenty of time for discussions in the schedule.

Do we have a large enough room scheduled?

Feel free to suggest changes; let's aim for sending this out to the
full collaboration by the end of the week.

Paul