Re: failed make of release-2009-02-24

Hi Blake,

    We may want to update the main trunk and the release with that fix,
but I need to understand exactly why it is needed first.

Let me see if I got this straight and you can correct me if I'm
misunderstanding something: It looks like you may be building the whole
source tree while you have a HALLD_MY environment variable set instead
of just HALLD_HOME. This means that as you go through a top-level make
*everything* is getting installed into HALLD_MY rather than in
HALLD_HOME. Also, a top-level make was never done with just HALLD_HOME
set so that (essentially) none of the headers, libraries, or executables
*ever* get installed in HALLD_HOME. Have I got this right?

If this is the case then the behavior you've seen starts to make more
sense (not that it's the way it should be). The make system was designed
assuming that one would always build into HALLD_HOME first and that
HALLD_MY would be used for perturbations later when someone wanted to
mess with only a part of the code without spoiling the HALLD_HOME directory.

So I guess that while your use of HALLD_MY is unanticipated, there's no
reason it shouldn't work. Given that, I would say that you should go
ahead and commit the change to the Makefile in Utilities/hddm to
release-2009-02-24. While you're at it, you might as well make the
change in the main trunk too so we don't run into this again with the
next release.

Regards,
-David

Blake Leverington wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I went and added -I$HALLD_MY/include to the hddm/Makefile in the
> appropriate spots and now everything compiles wonderfully. I don't
> think I can check this in, can I?
>
> Cheers,
> -Blake
>
> Blake Leverington wrote:
>> I mean $HALLD_HOME/include only contains xstream and  xstream.h.
>> Everything else is in $HALLD_MY/include.
>>
>> -Blake
>>
>> Blake Leverington wrote:
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> particleType.h is being put into $HALLD_MY/include, not
>>> $HALLD_HOME/include. I did a make pristine and removed the bin, lib
>>> and include directories when I recompiled.  So I think it is the
>>> -I/home/s4/leverin/gluex/svn/include that isn't right or that  -I
>>> HALLD_MY/include needs to be added. There's only a couple other
>>> files in there ( xstream and  xstream.h ).
>>>

>>> environment variables from my .tcshrc file:
>>> setenv HALLD_HOME /home/s4/leverin/gluex/svn
>>> setenv HALLD_MY /home/s4/leverin/gluex/my_src
>>>
>>> -Blake

 David Lawrence Ph.D.
 Staff Scientist                 Office: (757)269-5567   [[[  [   [ [
 Jefferson Lab                   Pager:  (757)584-5567   [  [ [ [ [ [
 http://www.jlab.org/~davidl     davidl@jlab.org         [[[  [[ [[ [[[