Re: updated talk for PID

Hall D PID Mail List:

Matt,

thanks for sending me your talk on the event fitting.
For my current studies I (in fact) did not use any fitting. I just
selected particle combinations, balancing the initial and final 3-momentum and
the energy. Again, it was very simple: I selected the same absolute cuts
in GeV for all events, without calculating the individual covariances for each event.
Therefore, there must be a room for improvement.
I am sure you have already perfected this method.

If I did any new step with this study, it is considering the minimum bias
background from PYTHIA.
The pion suppression is only a factor of 0.4-0.6 for a kaon candidate,
the overall suppression is about 0.2. The proton PID gives another factor of 4.
Indeed, a factor of 3 comes from combinatorics, while some events may have
no proton as well.

Eugene

Eugene Chudakov
http://www.jlab.org/~gen
phone (757) 269 6959  fax (757) 269 5703
12000 Jefferson Ave, Newport News, VA 23606 USA