Re: possible pair spectrometer magnets (fwd)

Alexander Somov wrote:
> Hello Richard,
>
> Obviously I don't want to spend much time on optimizing
> beam line components and leaving them out from the current
> design.
>
> However, I get the feeling that the current design is not
> optimized:
>
> where do you get 0.2 T, 0.5 m long magnets from (do we have them
> in JLab) ? They seem to be rather weak...
>
> Just a simple example (based on p = 0.3 H R): 6 GeV electron
> flying along the beam is deflected by ~0.13 cm after the magnet
> and has a deflection angle sin_theta ~ 5e-3, i.e. it would go
> directly to the target (p = 0.3 H R). Most of low energy electrons
> will interact with a beam pipe after the collimator cave.
> There are quite a few electromagnetic interactions as there
> is no vacuum pipe before the second sweeping magnet (~3% rad.
> length). Do we need this background at all?
>

> Cheers,
>        Sascha

Sascha,

The magnetic field integral of the sweep magnets has not been
optimized.  I don't think that the SLAC publication stated what the
sweep fields were.  At any rate, we postponed that optimization.  The
number and order of the elements was taken from the SLAC beamline.  You
are right, it is the field integral of those sweeps that needs to be
optimized.  Once that is done, we can write a spec for the sweep magnets.

Richard Jones