Tagger Magnet Inquirey

Dear tagger group

I wanted to understand what the difference in price and availability
would be for either two 3m long magnets or one 6m long magnet for the
tagger. In order to do this I asked the Jlab purchasing department to
solicit information from all their know magnet manufacturers. The main
questions I wanted answered were:
1) How many companies could manufacture 3m long magnets but not 6m long
magnets.
2) What is the difference in price between the two variants for the
companies which can make both.
At the bottom of this mail is the original mail sent to all the
manufacturers. The first attachment was also included in this mail to
provide information to the companies.

Summary of replies:
1) Babcock Noell GmbH
   Capable of making both.
   Main cost difference the price of one or two coils.
   Prefer two magnet design
   No cost estimate given
2) Sigmaphi
   $920 6m
   $940 2 3m magnets
   No preference for length
3) Milhous Company
   $500 6m magnet
   $400 2 3m magnets
   Prefers 2 small magnets but can make the large one
4) Niowave, Inc.
   Company just starting but may be interested in final order
   No other info
5) Alpha Magnetics
   $350 each for 3m magnets
   no quote on 6m
6) General Atomics
   can build both
   single magnet 20% cheaper
   May ask JLAB for help ordering steel
7) PCC /*Precision Custom Components*/
   Can build both
   Can get steel
   No Numbers $
8) Bruker Biospin GmbH
   No mail but visited JLAB
   Can build both
   Steel is no problem

Only Alpha Magnetics expressed interest in only the 3m magnet option.
Most the companies did not give a price on the two options but those who
did generally were within ± 25% for the two options. The lowest estimate
came from Milhous Company who preferred the two magnet design. However
they would build the 6m magnet for 25% more that the two magnets
together.  Based on this  I conlcude the following:

There are not substantially more companies which can build the shorter
magnets.
The difference in price for the 6m long magnet is at most 25% but many
companies would find it even cheaper to build.

Based on this I think we should go for the 6.2m magnet.
Can we discuss this on Thursday?
Jim
======= Mail to all known magnet manufacturers
===================================

Jefferson Science Associates will be soliciting bids for a Magnet
(Tagged Magnet) in the year 2011 or 2012. However, to prepare the the
best package possible for bidding, we are investigating several
approaches very early in the project and we would like some initial
input from potential manufacturers. We are considering either purchasing
one large magnet or
two smaller magnets. The iron of the larger magnet would measure 1.9m
wide by 1.4m high and 6.18m long. If two smaller magnets are purchased then
they would be half the length.   One possible design would be to
construct the magnet from slabs which are 240mm and 225 mm high.
Specifically, we would like the following:

1. Are you interested in this potential procurement? If so, please
provide contact information with a phone number and email. 2. Can your
company build either of the two variants and what the rough cost
difference (budgetary estimate)would be between the one long and two
short designs. (This information would be deemed confidential and not
distributed to any other companies or personnel at JLAB without a need
to know) 3. Is steel (AISI 1006?) available in 240+ mm thick x 1009+ mm
wide x 6200+ mm long plates and if 3200mm plates would be more cost
effective?
4. Are you more interested in building the larger magnet or the two
smaller ones?
5. What would be the design and manufacturing time on each approach?

We have attached a description with attached drawings that are for your
use.  *We would certainly appreciate your response back on this matter
no later than May 27, 2008.*  Please email your response back to me.

Thank You

Mitch Laney
Subcontracting Officer
757-269-5338