Re: background simulation

Hello Richard,

I think that option 2 or 3 would be fine.
I don't think that we will need to replace the
secondary collimators often. We will probably
start with a 10 mm collimator and make it smaller
later on. Jim actually suggested to make a 10 mm
collimator hole and insert there a tube with a smaller
inner radius. It should be relatively easy to change
and should not cost much.

I will check how much exactly we gain by decreasing
the size of the 2nd collimator. There are two effects
here: we reduce the number of beam-hallo photons
that enter to the detector region, and reduce the
number of interactions with the beam pipe before
the detector.

> 2. It might be worth taking Fig. 16, panel 3 to the electronics guys and
>  ask if that high flux of low-energy gammas in the area of the
>  electronics racks is a concern to them.  It is probably not enough
>  for them to care, but it is 5 orders of magnitude above cosmic levels
>  so I don't want to assume anything.

I think that it's a good idea. Actually the photon/electron fluxes
are not 5 orders of magnitude above cosmic level. The plot/caption
might be a bit confusing. What I plot here is the rate integrated over
10 cm radius bins, i.e., for R = 200 cm for photons we get

Rate (cm-2 sec-1) ~ 6 10^4 Hz / ( 2 pi R dR) ~ 5 cm-2 sec-1
<En photons> ~ 6 MeV

For electrons we have
Rate ~ 0.5 cm-2 sec-1
<En el> ~ 23 MeV

The rate of cosmic muons is 1 cm-2 min-1 ~ 0.02 cm-2 sec-1, which
is about 300 and 30 times smaller than that for low-energy photons
and electrons, respectively (I would say that the rates are negligibly
small for electronics racks, but we have to check).

In general, we can extend shielding after the pair spectrometer a little
bit further in a radial direction from the beamline and completely
eliminate this bg.

Cheers,
       Sascha