Re: PS target issues (fwd)

Hello Hrachya and Richard

The present suggested design has the converter ~2.5m upstream of the
magnet. The converter is the last item in the
cave extension before the concrete wall.  We want the facility to
install detectors in front of the pair spectrometer
magnet which means there needs to be some space to work.. At present
there is also about 1m space between
the magnet and the concrete wall. If we have a better idea how large the
converter will be we could check to
see if it would fit in front of the pair spectrometer magnet. I expect
the space should be enough. If this is the case
then you could design the converter system so that you could put the
harp on either side of the wall. I do not
expect this to cost very much as it is mainly a set of extension cables
for the harp and a straight piece of vacuum pipe.

The gain in moving the converter closer is not great as I understand. If
the radiator is 10^-3 the dominant uncertainty
comes from the spot size and not multiple scattering, final state
bremsstrahlung, and the finite opening angle .

I think we should try to make it possible to put the converter (modified
harp) in either position.

Other changes like an active target can be discussed when one thinks
about the detector package for the asymmetry
polarimeter. Here changes in technology in the next 10 years could have
a large impact.  I would still like to look at
pixels. There is a lot of work on x-ray pixel detectors. 10^-3 radiation
lengths is 90um in Si which is close to what
people are building.

Jim