Re: PS target issues

  Hello Jim,

I've promised to give a numbers for multiple scattering influence. In my
recent mail, I've brought the following ones:

The  multiple scattering cone's spot size (horizontal projection angle's
RMS times 3.5m converter distance from FSF and WSF arms  ) is ranged from:
- 0.2 to 0.62mm for thicknesses x=10^-3 to 10^-2 Xo and Pe=8GeV/c
- 0.45 to 1.15mm for thicknesses x=10^-3 to 10^-2 Xo and Pe=3.5GeV/c

For comparison the coordinate resolutions for FSF and WSF arms in 24x6
PS's  configuration are:

WSF arm - a) sigmaX= 0.72mm and 0.58mm for Pe=7 and 8GeV/c strips
           b) sigmaX= 1mm in case when both strips have a width
              app. 3.5mm equal to beam spot size        .

FSF arm - <sigmaX> = 1.7mm

Shift of  of the PS converter to 2.5m upstream increases the distance to
detectors from 3.5 to 6m, introducing a scale factor 1.714 and modifying
numbers as a following:

- 0.34 to 1.06mm for thicknesses x=10^-3  10^-2 Xo and Pe=8GeV/c
- 0.77 to 1.77mm for thicknesses x=10^-3 to10^-2 Xo and Pe=3.5GeV/c

As you may see an impact of multiple scattering is quite important and
comparable with detectors coordinate resolution  and becomes even
dominant at 6m base and thicknesses  x>4x10^-3Xo.

Hrachya