Re: Pole contour

Hello Yang

With the preparation of the collaboration meeting I did not get a chance
to reply to your mail. Here is my long overdue reply.
"If the tagger magnet will only operate at 1.5 T, there is no need to
use a Rogowski type profile.-Yang"
You made plots of the Mu for the pole but you had a rather unfortunate
scale on the plots. I would like to ask you to set the scale so that the
maximum mu is 1000. I think then one would see much better the
improvement in the mu within the iron. I believe that a higher mu would
make the magnet more immune to fluctuations in chemical composition as
you go along the length. However in the absence of a study I do not know
how much an effect this could have. In general I feel the higher the mu
the more robust the design of the magnet. This is a very weak argument
in the absence of any studies.

I modeled the magnetic field in ANSYS for the original Glasgow magnet. I
have included horizontal sweeps in the y (vertical) component of the
field in the two attached ps files. In Tg_1.5_hsweep1.ps you will find
zoomed in plots of B_y in the pole region. Please excuse the lack of
axises and definition of the coordinates. The lower right plot is the
field in the horizontal plane. x=0 is the center of the pole and the
vertical axis is the B_y field in T. The lower left plot is the field
5mm above the horizontal plane. Here you already see a small increase in
the field at the corners. In the upper right plot you are 10mm above the
horizontal plane and the effect is larger. In the upper left plot you
are at 15mm which is along the pole surface and see the spike in field
up to ~1.8T. I believe this effect will be weaker with the Rogowski
contour. Could you please check this. If the out of plane variations are
smaller then the alignment errors will have a smaller impact on the
integrated B.dl. This would be a clear positive advantage of the more
complicated contour even at 1.5T and even on the one surface. I was
going to look at this but I would need a step file and it looks like we
are going to have to go back and forth a bit before yours and Jame's
model match.

"I should point out that if we don't use Rokowski profile at both short
edges, I am sure the magent effective length and the field uniformity
will be affected at high field region, this will not affect the tagger
resolution, but it is big enough to effect the dispersion and the tagger
energy calibration." -yang

Here I believe you are trying to argue that by putting the Rokowski
profile on all the surfaces you would improve the performance at higher
fields at negligible cost. I am trying to think of what studies you
could do to demonstrate this without costing you much work You have both
the 25mm-45degree contour design and the 4 surface Rokowski contour
modeled and meshed. If you take both models and again crank up the
current then you can compare them at 1.8T. You can see how large the
uniform field region is in both cases. You can also then measure the
change in effective field length in the two cases. Now you will have
real numbers to back up your argument for a 4 surface Rokowski design.
(If you want to get really fancy here you can also bolt a 200mm thick
plate on the back (-x face) of the magnet to reduce the saturation in
the return yoke. However you would then need to re-mesh and may have
problems with too many nodes. If JLAB goes to 18GeV then the extra plate
would be a simple upgrade if we foresee it in advance. )

"For the edge near the return yoke, because the width of the pole is
minimized for the Rowkiski profile, if we want to use other profile,
the effective pole width must be increased, because the good field
region will be smaller. That means we will not save a lot of materials,
but we can save some machine cost if we use other profile.  There will
be also a small effect on the energy calibration. "-Yang

I don't understand this. What I understood from you before is that for
the same uniform field width the Rowkiski profile increased the pole
width by ~1cm.

"So I insist we should use the Rogoeski profile all around the pole, the
reason is that it's effect on the cost is small and its effect on the
tagger performance is positive.We have already saved some money from
other places, for example, the strongback support, and we only need one
NMR detector instead of two. "-Yang

The price of steel has increased by a factor of 2 since the last quotes
so what ever we do we will be over budget.
Any change  we make has to be justified against the cost. I also do not
want to reduce the number of NMR probes. We need a minimum of 2 probes
so we have spares. I would then rather have it installed an read out
than sitting on a shelf. With 2 probes you can also stabilize on one
probe and measure the variations with the other. This gives a cross
check on any hysteresis or variations in mu with temperature.

In general I am in favor of the 4 surface Rokowski contour but if asked
during the review why we need it I need backup.

Hope this is clear.
Let me know what you think.
Jim

Tg_1.5T_hsweep2.ps