Re: Hall D electronics update

Hi Dan,
	Are there any specifications or preliminary sketches of Fernando's
preamp board available?
	I am in particular wondering whether it might be a 24-channel (3-ASIC)
board, and have an on-board pulser digitally controlled by the 25th pair
of a 25-pair cable going to the ADC boards. Simon and I have discussed
this somewhat.
	I think that a 24-channel board is better than a 16-channel board because:
	- It gets slightly closer to the channel count per plane you have
originally specified (I'm looking at GlueX-doc-412-v17 for this). 119
anodes per plane becomes 8x 16-channel boards (128 ch) or 5x 24-channel
boards (120 ch). 238 cathodes per plane becomes 15x 16-channel boards
(240 ch) or 10x 24-channel boards (also 240 ch).
	- It reduces by 33% the number of power connections needed.
	- It reduces by 33% the number of signal cables and by approximately
11% the cable tray cross-sectional area.
	- It matches to a 72-channel ADC board with three input connectors. I
believe this layout would work very well, with every other input channel
routed up to a mezzanine board, 36 ADC channels on the main board, 36
channels on the mezzanine board. If the channel granularity is 16, it
may not be possible to have more than 64 channels per board. Using the
channel counts above, the 16-ch per cable system would require 228x
64-ch boards in 12 VME crates. The 24-ch per cable system would require
200x 72-ch boards in (exactly) 10 VME crates.
	Of course, there are considerations about the anode and cathode plane
design and the preamp board mounting, that I am not informed to judge
right now.
	Let me know what you think, thanks.

	Gerard

p.s. Let's please get these discussions on the
halld-tracking-hw@jlab.org list...