Preamp discussion

Hi Mitch and Gerard,

I have a few items that I would like to bring to your attention and
which are based on previous discussions:

1. Preamp Costs - For the prototype run of 40 Die, the Mosis cost is
$21.5K for the assembled parts. What would the cost be for 2500-3000 Die
and assembled parts?

2. Package - I agree with using a 64 pin package as it provides for
additional power, ground and additional pins not yet defined (if
needed). However, I would like to suggest the use of the QFN64 (64 pin,
ground-paddle, 0.5 mm pitch). This package provides improved thermal
characteristics compared to the LQFP64. The preamp cards on the FDC (and
most likely the CDC) will be installed in regions with very limited
space and most of the heat will be removed by conduction to some sort of
detector cooling assembly (not yet defined). I2A carries this package as
standard.

3. Double termination - Given the thermal limitations, I agree that
there should be no termination resistor on the package. I also see no
need for double termination on the card as we already have differential
lines and the SNR may actually be adversely effected with the double
termination given the long cable runs.

4. I should have a preliminary diagram for the preamp card soon. I
should also review an old FDC electronics diagram that I distributed a
long time ago.

5. I would also like to request a number of the prototype packaged
preamps for assembly on this new preamp card as soon as they are
available. We can quickly test them on the prototype FDC on site. Maybe
10 would be more than enough.

6. A 24-channel board is fine per Gerard's calculations. I still need to
check the spacing required on the FDC (connectors and such) due to the
plane-to-plane pitch.

7. A detector test pulse system is a must and we need to discuss this
soon. There are pros and cons to having the pulser on-board the preamp
card or external: power, compactness, flexibility (amplitude
adjustment?), cabling, etc. Capacitive coupling to the preamp inputs via
orthogonal traces is a simple and effective way of injecting some fixed
charge.

Best regards,

Fernando

begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr;dom:;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606